Equal
First
Aid

 

Equal First Aid was formed to advocate for people who are disabled or in a wheelchair in a choking emergency. Currently, during a choking emergency, there are no public measures in place to rescue a person in a wheelchair with an obstruction.  Additionally, techniques such as back blows, abdominal thrusts, and chest compressions may be ineffective or unable to be done.  No option is not an option.  All people deserve a chance in a choking emergency.    

LifeVac is EFA’s preferred airway clearance device. To learn more about LifeVac, please visit www.LifeVac.net

We Need Your Help

Equal First Aid was formed to advocate for people who are disabled or who are in a wheelchair during a choking emergency.

Currently, during a choking emergency, there are no public measures in place for an individual who becomes unresponsive and cannot be easily lifted from their wheelchair and placed on the ground. To date, there is no protocol to adequately address the needs of an individual in a wheelchair when abdominal thrusts or chest thrusts cannot be done, whether it be for physical reasons or because of the design of the wheelchair.

The standard mandated poster in schools, facilities, restaurants, and all public settings DO NOT include the disabled.

I would like to raise awareness on the need for a non-invasive airway clearing device.  Our mission is to have these in every facility, school, and in all disability communities.  The traditional method for clearing an airway (The Heimlich) is not conducive for those with disabilities (wheelchair, scoliosis brace).

For the past 50 years, only those persons without a disability have had a reasonable option in a choking emergency and this is no longer the case.  Science has provided an equal chance for those with disabilities and as per the foundation of the ADA, we must provide the ultimate inequality, the equal chance to be alive.

Loading

Testimonials

“My name is Avalon and I am a caretaker to a 7 year old girl named Maddie. Maddie is a chronic choker due to being born with Cerebral Palsy. I am a healthcare provider so I thought I was prepared for any choking incident. In the past back blows have always worked but for my piece of mind, my friend purchased and gifted this lifesaving device to me to have just in case. I really never thought I would have to use it but on March 29th, we were all sat down to have dinner when Maddie started choking on a bite of hamburger. I did not panic at first as this happens all the time. I began to do back blows, and when that didn’t work I became more worried and tried the Heimlich. After about 3 cycles of doing both of those things the situation became serious and her lips started turning blue. She could not cough or make any sound and I began to panic. That’s when I remembered I had the LifeVac and ran to grab it. I firmly placed the mouth piece over her mouth and pushed then pulled the plunger. I heard a little sound but she was still choking so I tried it again. After the second time the piece of food came up and I was able to grab it out of her mouth. Had I not used the LifeVac, I do not believe she would still be here today. This device 100% saved her life and I would recommend anyone with a child have one in their homes. Thank you so much.”

“Hello, I would like to share my second testimony in using LifeVac to save my patient’s life. I have previously used LifeVac to save another girl I care for and you were gracious enough to send me multiple units to donate to choice schools, nursing homes, and day programs near me. I have amazing news. As you know, I’m a Home Healthcare Worker. I take care of a girl who cannot walk or talk (she has microcephaly) and I have been her CNA for over a year. She is severely disabled and functions at the cognitive level of about a 3-year-old even though she is 38. Well, since she often chokes during meals due to not fully knowing how to chew (I hand feed her), I gifted her parents one of the devices you sent to me. Well the other day, she choked on chicken, and her mother, who is usually able to fish it out with her finger, couldn’t even reach it. We started to panic because we couldn’t get it out and then I remembered we had the device in the kitchen. I grabbed it and used it on my client because she could no longer cough and nothing else was working. It took 2 push and pulls and the chicken came up. Now, having witnessed this device save TWO lives right in front of me, I’m convinced it’s a life-saving breakthrough. Thank you for saving my client. I am forever grateful and so are her parents.”

Equal First Aid

Contact

Get In Touch

631-873-0907
tlabbate@equalfirstaid.com
M-F: 8am-5pm